Association of Commercial Judges− Business expertise for the judical system
How do plaintiffs and defendants come under the jurisdiction of the commercial divisions during a lawsuit?
What are the statutory regulations for the commercial divisions?
What matters are heard by the commercial divisions?
Who can become a commercial judge?
What are the rights and duties of a commercial judge?
How does one become a commercial judge?
The appointment process for commercial judges is another expression of the role’s close ties to the commercial world. Candidates are proposed to the regional court by local chambers of commerce. After a thorough review process, the chambers of industry and commerce select suitable candidates from the business community and nominate experienced, honourable individuals.
- First, interested parties apply to their local chamber of industry and commerce. In Berlin, this is Ms Franziska Henning (Tel.: 030 3151 0281, E-mail: Franziska.Henning@berlin.ihk.de).
- Next, the chamber of industry and commerce invites the applicant to a face-to-face interview.
- If the applicant meets all the requirements, the chamber of commerce will propose him or her to the regional court.
- Following subsequent review, the Justice Senator or the state Minister of Justice appoints the applicant as an honorary commercial judge.
- Before hearing his or her first case, the honorary commercial judge is sworn in and given a certificate of appointment.
A commercial judge’s term lasts five years but it can be extended for an additional five years several times over on the recommendation of the chamber of industry and commerce.